Is Adoption For Me?
Only you can determine if adoption is the right choice for you and your child. This is a highly personal decision and cannot be taken lightly. You may wish to talk to a professional counselor, family member, or friend as you make your decision. It is important that you go through a well thought out process.
The following questions may help you start your decision making process:
- Is my life situation conducive to raising a child at this time?
- Are there changes I could make before the baby is born which would improve my situation?
- What type of life have I envisioned for my child?
- Do I have the emotional and financial support necessary to parent my child in the way I want?
- What are my financial resources? What is my level of income?
- What are my emotional resources? Who will support me during this pregnancy?
- What are my long term goals for myself?
- How does this pregnancy affect those goals?
- How does parenting affect these goals?
- What are my goals for this child?
- What is my concept for being a good parent to this child?
- What are the potential gains for myself if I choose adoption?
- What are the potential losses for myself if I choose adoption?
- How will I approve of myself if I make an adoption plan?
- How will I disapprove of myself if I make an adoption plan?
- What other options have I considered?
- How will my choice affect other people I care about?
- Where do I see myself being in 6 months? one year? three years?